Methods for locating products and services have changed to the point where small businesses can “go global” from just about any location in the world. Surprisingly, however, local business who remain limited to customers within a radius of 50 miles or even less can utilize many of the same strategies to help grow their businesses. Traditional methods of advertising which have worked for local businesses for decades are being replaced by local SEO expert techniques utilizing the power of the web to create more location specific awareness.
The Way the World Shops:
Having an established reputation based on excellent products and services was all that was needed for a local business to thrive since the start of free trade. Unfortunately, most people do not shop the way they used to. Today when someone is looking for an item they will most often use the internet to find what they are looking for as well as driving directions.
With access to information at an all-time high “ease of use” for smartphones and tablets are bringing local businesses to the customers in seconds. Establishing a local presence on the web can be critical to survival for virtually all business types. Even stores which are branded as part of a national chain are realizing they must maintain a local web SEO strategy to not be surpassed by relatively unknown businesses who have better search results.
It used to be a common conception that their name that people knew would provide an advantage over competitors. When is the last time you actually saw a phone book? Think of that question for a moment and realize that is when technology changed the way people shop. Businesses find that they must adapt by:
* Creating a website which lists services and products with easy to use menus.
* Provide a map for convenient driving directions based on the location of the customer.
* Create and maintain a reputable image on the web.
* For products and services where discounts are an important part of their selling strategy a place to advertise bargains or specials. Discounts for first-time customers are commonly used.
Covering the Backyard First:
It is ironic that many companies which have a national customer base often forget to market from the inside out. They have forgotten that many times the customer who “gets away” might be only a few blocks from their business location. Fortunately, when they hire an SEO expert he realizes the different requirements and covers the local search expertise in addition to the national presence.
It is not uncommon, however for some businesses to be a leader in national customers and be losing in local sales to a much smaller competitor. The reasons they are being outperformed locally are the precise advantages which can create a significant edge for those businesses who are limited to being able to “localize” their image.
It is far more believable when people read or see an endorsement by those who are most closely identifiable to themselves than some other type of region. People do business when they are comfortable, and they have dropped that sales resistance which is the biggest enemy of all business owners. Covering the type of buyer from a particular region includes:
* Creating an image which is familiar using local surroundings.
* Providing endorsements of those who are their neighbors or friends or have some local “celebrity” characteristic.
* Developing a region specific theme or type of unique locally accepted jargon which signifies the “good neighbor” type of business.
Local SEO Expert Campaign Techniques:
Creating an area specific search optimization is the first step to driving business in the door. It makes little sense, but people drive right by a dentist, attorney, doctor, plumber, optometrist, computer repair person, or any number of businesses on their way to someplace 20 miles away who has a stronger internet presence.
The information technology age thrives on perception. In the virtual world very little is real and businesses can either capitalize by participating in “cyber-dress-up” or get their shredded costumes handed to them by SEO-strong business owners.
The most qualified business owners in town with the best product or even the lowest prices are often pounded into submission and end up failing due to the overwhelming presence of a competitor.
While the one business owner prides them self in the best craftsmanship the people selling junk, whose dollars are not invested in a product but rather rounding up clients using SEO savvy techniques win “virtually” all of the time both figuratively and literally.
When the playing field becomes level, and both have a similar presence in the local search then the better product and service has the upper hand. These are a few ways of winning in an equal customer traffic environment:
* Better products can generate more testimonial both written and video. These endorsements done by friends and neighbors are crucial to establishing a comfort level necessary to create a customer.
* Local SEO experts can optimize that local search where the top three spots on Google become the battlefield. The special technique with maps, geographical specifics, clubs, affiliations and citations then pull the one competitor ahead.
* In a local web battle number one on the results page is the top prize and additional advantage will come from the page description listed by the Google Search.
* Understanding that consumers today buy products which are the simplest and easy to use, linking auto maps, local sites, how to videos and reviews, are tools for winning even a larger market share.
Choosing a Nice Ad over a Big Crowd:
Small business owners are proud of what they do, and they should be. The courage to take risks and work extra hard to create and build something on your own is the principle upon which this great nation was built. Pride in a product, however, carries over into placing all of the advertising “eggs” in pretty baskets.
When this happens owners fall in love with the image of the business. Some of the greatest potential small businesses ever are gone due to not understanding the power of technology vs. the superiority of their products and services.
Technology wins almost all of the time. Expert local SEO strategy will bring the people to the business. A windfall of growth comes when large crowds are steered toward the business owner who has the best product. Once more individuals in a smaller area become fans, they not only tell their neighbors about it, but they put together reviews.
The advantage of SEO is that every business can have the advantage which was reserved for those who were right next to the highway for so many decades. Local SEO experts simply reroute the traffic by using the information highway which is currently the preferred method of travel.